Holidays. Form 6
The aims of the lessons; To read and learn the new words, to work with pictures, with dialogues, with exercises, to teach pupils to express their opinion about holidays
Developing; to develop pupils speaking,listening, logical thinking.
Bringing up; to love and value foreign languages.
Visual aids; a book, pictures, an interactive beard.
The procedure of the lesson
I Organization moment.
II Checking- up the homework. Revision
Slide 1- Come to My Party. ( a poem )
Come to the party
Don’t be late
Eat all you want.
But don’t eat the plate!
1 Listen to the poem
2 Read the poem
3 Recite the poem
Slide 2 – New Words.
Choose and divide the words into 3 categories
1 Special food, 2 Holidays, 3 Special activities
Thanksgiving Day, roast turkey, guess, pumpkin pie, see in, New Year, wear, St Valentine’s Day, pudding, sing, Halloween
Slide 3- Thanksgiving Day. Christmas.
- In November in America there is a great holiday Thanksgiving Day.Families come together for the day. They decorate the houses with autumn fruits and flowers and eat traditional American food roast turkey, pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes.
- On the 25-th of December there is the greatest holiday in England Christmas. People give each other presents and send Christmas cards. The presents for children are in their stocking. The traditional English dinner on Christmas Day is roast turkey and Christmas pudding
Read the texts and say if in is true or false
1 Thanksgiving Day is in December.
2 They usually eat meat and porridge on Thanksgiving Day.
3 They decorate the houses with a New Year tree
4 Christmas is on the 23- rd of December.
5 The traditional English food on Christmas is roast turkey and pudding
Slide 4 – New Year. St Valentine’s Day.
1 People celebrate this holiday on December 31. It is fun see the New Year in
There is a lot of dancing and eating. People decorate the New Year tree
2 The 14 – th of February is St. Valentine’s Day. People buy or make Valentine cards and send them to.
Answer the questions
- When do people celebrate the New Year?
- What do they decorate?
- Why don’t people sing the cards on St. Valentine’s Day?
Slide. 5 – Patrick’s Day. Halloween
- The 17 th of March is a national holiday in Ireland- St Patrick’s Day. People send greeting cards. On that day people wear green because it is one of the national colours of Ireland and the sign of spring.
- On the 31-st of October in Great Britain there is nice holiday for children- Hallow’ en. People put pumpkins on the window- sills. They draw eyes, noses and mouths on the pumpkins and put candles into them.Children dress up in funny clothes. They go from house to house and say ‘ trick or treat’. People give them sweets, fruit, cakes, cookies or money.
Finish the sentences
- A national holiday in Ireland is…
2 People wear green on this holiday because…
3 A nice holiday for children- Halloween is on …
4 They go from house to house and say…
Slide 6- Do you know?
What holidays do English people celebrate on…?
What holidays do people in our country celebrate on…?
Slide 7-My Interview
- Talk to your classmates and tell the class about your interview
What is the most interesting holiday in Great Britain?
What’s yourfavourite Holiday?
When do you celebrate it ?
Do you eat any special food?
- Tell your classmates about your findings
He (she) thinks…
His ( her ) favourite holiday is…
He (she ) celebrates it…
He ( she ) eats (doesn’t ) eat any special food
Slide 7- Test
- On this day people usually visit their friends.
There is a lot of dancing and eating.
People bring a piece of coal for good luck
- On this day people send cards to their friends, parents and relatives.
People put trees in their rooms and decorate them with toys.
- People send cards to people they love.
They shouldn’t write their names on the cards
Those who get them must guess who sent them
- On this day children put pumpkins on the window-sills and dress and ghosts on this day.
- It’s a national holiday in Ireland. People wear green because it/s the national colour of this country.
- This is a great holiday in America. People decorate the houses with autumn fruits and flowers and eat traditional American food ; roast turkey and pumpkin piе.
- St. Patrick’s Day
- New year’s Day
- St. Valentine’s Day
- Thanksgiving Day