Айбаш Шолпан учитель английского языка
средней школы Невское Енбекшельдерский район
Республика Казахстан, Акмолинская область
The theme: The Adjective
The aims: a) educational: to guide the students to an understanding of the comparison of adjectives b) developing: to develop pupils’ skills of reading, tidy writing, listening and speaking, their mental abilities.
c) cultural: to bring up pupils to respect each other, to be tidy, polite, responsible.
The type of the lesson: mixed lesson
The kind of the lesson: mastering new material
Teaching methods: explaining, listening, reading, comparing, speaking.
Visual aid: an interactive board, cards.
The procedure of the lesson
T: Good afternoon, pupils!
P: Good afternoon, teacher!
T: Let’s begin our English lesson. The theme of our lesson is the adjective and comparison of adjectives. (picture 1)
The aims: a) educational: to guide the students to an understanding of the comparison of adjectives
b) developing: to develop pupils’ skills of reading, tidy writing, listening and speaking, their mental abilities.
c) cultural: to bring up pupils to respect each other, to be tidy, polite, responsible.(picture 2)
b) Asking the date
T: What date is it today?
P: Today is the 18th of January
T: Who is absent?
P: All are present.
II. Warm up
What this is it?
Is it big ?
What colour is it?
Is it beautiful?
2. Phonetic drill
Teacher: Well. How do you characterize today’s weather using adjectives? What is the weather now?
Students: The weather is cold, and snowy (sunny), the sky is overcast.
Teacher: You are right. What season is it now? (Winter) What month is it now? (January) Well. Now look at the board. (picture3)
T: Listen to the text about winter.
But at the beginning lets acquaint with unknown words. Open your vocabularies and write down the words. (picture 4)
Gloomy [glu:mi] – хмурый, мрачный
Cover [k v] – покрывать
Freezer [fri:z ] – морозить, замораживать
Roof [ru:f] – крыша
Now, listen to the text. Find adjectives.
The winter months are December, January, and February. The winter days are short and gloomy. It often snows and it freezes. Winter is a very beautiful season. Some people like it very much. It is pleasant to walk when it is not very cold and it snows.
The ground is covered with snow. The trees and roofs are white with snow to.
I think every season has a charm of its own.
T: Answer the questions, please.
1. Name the winter months. (The winter months are December, January and February)
2. Which is the first? (December)
3. Is winter a beautiful season? (Yes, it is)
4. What charm has winter? (It is snow)
IV. Presentation of the new theme.
A red apple
A red pencil
V. Exercise 1. Fill in the blanks with the correct comparative and superlative degrees of following adjectives (slide 8)
long _____________ ______________
dirty _____________ ______________
hot _____________ ______________
safe _____________ ______________
old _____________ ______________
small _____________ _____________
big _____________ ______________
happy _____________ ______________
Find Russian equivalents to the adjectives (English words are given in a column on the blackboard, cards with Russian words are mixed).
V. Match the words in A with the words in B.
VI Give antonyms for the adjectives. (The teacher pronounces the word - the students give the antonyms):
VII. Rest exercise.
Hands up. Clap. Clap. Clap.
Hands down. Shake. Shake. Shake.
Hands on hips. Spin around.
Turn to the right, turn to the left and sit down.
VIII. Lesson art
It is cold6 but is not. The days are getting short. The nights are long. Children go to school. The leaves on the trees are yellow. We can see red apple – trees.
IX. 1. Pair work
1) I am _____________ (tall) in the class.
2) This is _______________ (expensive) hotel I’ve ever stayed in.
3) New York is one of the ______________ (busy) cities in the USA.
4) Jack is _____________ (good) football player in the team.
5) North Pole is _______________ (cold) place on Earth.
6) Today’s weather is ____________ (bad) than the yesterdays.
2. Correct the word order. (On the poster there are sentences with a wrong word order.)
- tallest the animal that is.
- book this funny is.
- is that very dog old.
- this very is a cake nice.
- small kitten is that very.
- clever that’s cat a.
X. Consolidation of the lesson. Test (ActiVote)
1. Its ………………… (difficult) rule of all.
a. difficult b. more difficult c. the most difficult
2. This pen writes …………. (good) than my previous one.
a. better b. gooder c. good
3. This athlete is ……………. (strong) than this competitor.
a. strong b. the strongest c. stronger
4. This pupil is ……………. (clever) in the class.
a. clever b. more clever c. the cleverest
5. This is ……………….. (old) castle in Britain.
a. the oldest b. the eldest c. an old
XI. Find mistakes and correct them. (slide18)
1. My new car is fastest than my old one.
2. London is more big than Oxford.
3. Bill is the goodest student in the class.
4. Nick is tallest in his family.
5. This is a very nicer dress.
6. I am younger than Sam.
7. Apples are best for your health than sweets.
8. She is the taller of all.
9. I think Susan is the beautifulest girl in the school.
10. Skiing is one of the more dangerous sports.
XII Make up the antonyms of the following adjectives and complete the crossword.
big; 2. interesting; 3. good; 4. dangerous; 5. clean; 6. quiet.
XIII Подведение итогов. Оценки.
Teacher: At the end of our lesson I want to say that I am very happy to have such talented and creative students. Thanks a lot for your work. Your marks are …