Данная презентация позволяет подготовить учеников к написанию официальных писем. Включает в себя вводные тезисы – советы по написанию официальных писем с аудио сопровождением:
- When writing a formal letter, firstly state your purpose in the opening paragraph in a straightforward manner.
- The body of the letter should contain one or more paragraphs, each dealing with a separate aspect of the subject matter.
- The final paragraph should spell out what you want to happen next.
- It is crucial to adopt a suitable tone.
- Be clear, concise, and to the point, avoiding superfluous matter, but not too blunt or abrupt.
- Keep the language plain and simple where possible.
- Refer to sample letters on the internet for further guidance.
Отработки новых лексических единиц способом поиска значения слова по описанию:
- State sth
- Subject matter
- Spell sth out
- To the point
- Relevant and without any extra information. Syn pertinent
- Expressed clearly and without using any unnecessary words.
- The general attitude or feeling expressed in a piece of writing.
- Explain the details of sth in a simple, clear way.
- The ideas or information in a book, letter, painting, etc.
- Uncomplicated and easy to understand. Opp convoluted
- The main part of a book, article, text, etc.
- Write or say sth clearly or firmly
- Without unnecessary details; clear.
- An example, or small amount, of sth to show what all of it is like.
- Saying what you think even if it offends or upsets people.
- Speaking or acting with few words and in a way that seems unfriendly or rude. Syns. Brusque, curt.
И отработкой на практике в задании по дополнению диалога:
1. Did he say what he needed? – Yes, he stated it very clearly.
2. Her tone is rather brusque, isn’t it? – Yes, I find it rather abrupt.
3. Did you find some model letters/ - Yes, I found some sample letters on a website.
4. He should tell her the problem clearly. – That’s right; he’s got to spell it out.
5. Did you enjoy the programme? – No, I wasn’t interested in the subject matter.
6. Was the complaint in the introduction? – No, I put it in the body of the letter.
7. Is that detail really necessary? – No, it’s superfluous.
8. Is the letter easy to follow? – Yes, it’s very straightforward
Все задания и по подбору значения и по дополнению имеют проверку непосредственно после завершения выполнения задания учениками.
Далее учеников ожидает устное задание на отвлечение глаз от экрана – им необходимо устно ответить на следующие вопросы: Is the advice in the beginning similar to the advice you would give for formal letters in your own language? Where is it the same, and where does it differ?
И в завершении учеников ожидают полезные фразы, которые помогут при написании письма:
OPENING A LETTER
I am writing to inform you that I will be leaving at the end of June.
(used for giving information)
I am writing to inform you of my intention (a plan to do sth) to terminate (end or stop sth) my lease (a legal agreement for renting a property).
I am writing to enquire whether…
(used for asking a question or making a request)
I regret to inform you that…(used for giving bad news)
I am delighted to inform you that…(used for giving good news)
I am writing in response to your appeal for (an urgent or sincere request for people to give money, help, etc.) aid in…
(used for replying to an advertisement, etc.)
Please accept my sincere (expressing what you really think or feel) condolences (the things you say to show sympathy when sb has just died)
(used for expressing apologies, sympathy, etc.)
OPENING A REPLY TO A LETTER
Further to our meeting last week,…
Following our conversation on 5 May,… used to refer to a previous conversation
In reply to your letter of 7 July,… with the receiver, or a letter/email from them.
With reference to your letter of 3 June,…
Thank you for your letter concerning…(syn. Regarding)
REFERING TO SOMETHING IN A LETTER
Please find enclose a copy of… used to refer to sth in the body of the letter
As you will see from my CV, I… or included with it.
I would like to draw your attention to … relevant to the subject of the letter.
CLOSING A LETTER
Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
(common used at the end of a formal letter or offer)
I would be greateful if you could contact me as soon as possible.
(used to make a request, or ask for action to be taken)
I look forward to meeting you. I look forward to hearing from you.
(used to end a formal letter)
И конечно же письменное задание: TRY TO WRITE YOUR OWN FORMAL LETTER!