Grade: 8 а-б
The theme OUR ENVIRONMENT
1) To enrich their knowledge concerning the theme, on the new words, to practice its pronunciation and teach them to use the words in their speech.
2) To enrich pupils interest to the new material to develop.
Their speaking and thinking abilities to consolidate the
Material with asking and answering the questions, to
Develop their memory on the learning English words.
3) To raiser their interest to the English language widing.
Good morning girl’s and boy’s!How are you?I’m glad to see you!Who is on duty today?
What month is it now?What season is it now?What date is it today?Who is absent?Thank you!Sit down please!
Today we are going to learn new theme, to learn new words, to do some exercise, to checking up your home work, answer the question, read and translate, work in groups.
To checking up home work:
What was your home work?Are you ready?.
Do you understand me?Well, let’s begin!
Nice of you!Thank you!Sit down please!
Presentation new theme:
Teacher introduces the pupils with the theme and aims of the lesson.
I. Warming up activities
Answer the questions about ecology.
Why do people speak about ecology so often nowadays? What makes ecology an important science?
When did people start speaking about ecology first?
The information of what sciences does ecology use?
What are some of the problems ecologists are trying to solve?
How can the environment influence a living thing? Can you give an example?
What is human ecology? What does it study?
What is your natural environment? Do you think it is healthy?
1. Read the text “Our Environment” and find the equivalents of the words and word combinations after the text.
The environment is all the things we need to be able to live — clean water to drink and to wash with, air to breathe and healthy food to eat. We can’t live without plants and animals. They help to make the soil, they clean water and air, and they give us all our food.
чтобы мы могли жить; воздух, чтобы дышать; формировать почву; столько, сколько сможем; мы вырубаем леса; мы загрязняем окружающую среду; мы производим массу отходов; мы сбрасываем бытовые и промышленные отходы; сливаем ядовитые отходы; опасный для дыхания.
© 2.Complete these sentences:
People can’t live without.
People need to make our planet..
We would like to see our rivers and lakes.
It is dangerous to.
© 3. Read the text and match its paragraphs with the titles. There are 6 titles but only 5 paragraphs. One title is extra.
Land without Trees
No Air to Breathe
Problems Important for Everyone
No food for Animals
- The word environment means what is around us. People who live in big industrial centers, cities and towns live in a town environment. For others their environment is the countryside. Everybody who lives in towns or in the country breathes air, drinks water, and uses soil, which should be clean. But are they really clean?
- The water in the oceans, seas and rivers has become polluted in many places. If people drink this water, they can get ill or even die. People use oceans and seas as big dump and pour industrial and domestic waste into them. And so fish become toxic. It is very dangerous for people to eat such fish. Water birds leave places with toxic water. A lot of trees on the coast die, too.
- The food we eat is not always healthy as fruit and vegetables can grow on polluted soil and become dangerous too. The meat we get from sheep and cows can be bad for our health if these sheep and cows eat grass that grows on polluted land.
- People cut down trees and many birds and animals can’t liave home in their usual places and they begin dying out. II’ the situation doesn’t change, soon we shall live in a very different world — a world without a number of species that we know now.
Nowadays people feel that it is more difficult to breathe: in big cities the air has become badly polluted. Most of the pollution comes from cars and buses. Old people and little children feel bad and get ill because of the polluted air.
III. Speaking activities
- Say if you find life in a big city rather dangerous nowadays. Think over the following':
- The air to breathe
- Badly polluted
- A lot of cars
- Not many trees
- Say if in your opinion it is important to be a member of some ecological organization. Mention the following:
- It is important to help wild birds and animals to survive.
- It is necessary to protect wild life on the planet.
- It is important to make the population of endangered species larger.
- It is necessary to stop people who kill endangered birds and animals.
- It is important to protect animals’ habitats.
- It is much easier to do these things if you belong to some organization.
Jane: Miss Chapman, may I ask you something?
Miss Ch.: Yes, Jane, what is it? Jane: What’s that badge you are wearing?
Miss Ch.: This panda badge? It shows that I am a member of WWF.
Jane: What’s WWF? I’ve never heard of it.
Miss Ch.: WWF means “Worldwide Fund for Nature”. It’s an international organization that protects wildlife on the planet. I believe WWF needs our support because it is very important to help wild animals to survive.
Jane: What do they do to help animals to survive?
Miss Ch.: Different things. Mostly they help endangered animals. For example, if the population of some species is very small, it means they can become extinct. Ecologists protect them and try to make their population larger.
Jane:I see. That’s very interesting. They are like Greenpeace. I’d like to work with Greenpeace. I think they are very active and brave. They stop those people who kill endangered animals and destroy their habitats.
Miss Ch.: I know all ecological organizations are useful. The more of them the better. Everyone should do what they can.
Prepare a talk on the topic “Our Environment”. Inyour talk, mention the following:
how clean and safe the place where you live is
if there is any danger of air, water or nuclear pollution there
if the place where you live is rich in birds and animals
what in your opinion should be done to make your environment better