Theme: Winter and summer sport.
Objectives: - To develop pupils’ speaking, translating and thinking skills and abilities on the whole .
- To increase their active vocabulary on the given theme.
- Help pupils to form the healthy way of life. To observe good manners.
I. Organization moment: Good morning , children! Sit down, please!
Who is on duty today? - what date is it today?
- Who is absent?
Today we have a very interesting theme, which serves like a kind of continuation of our previous themes about SPORT. At first let’s give a watch to the screen and enjoy the video.
II. Introduction of the new theme:
As you have already seen , the theme of our lesson is WINTER AND SUMMER SPORT.
And now open your copy-books, write down the date and the theme of the lesson.
The is the slogan of the lesson: Life is like a sport. Sometimes you win , sometimes you lose. But the game
always goes on.
III. Before discussing of the theme let’s check your home task.
Answering the questions: What sport do you prefer?
What activities don’t you like?
What summer sports do you know?
What winter sports do you know?
What sport is played all year round?
Now I shall read you the statements about sport and you are to agree or disagree with them:
- Sport builds character.
- Sport makes you strong.
- Sport takes a lot of time.
- Sport is boring.
IV. Introduction of the text:
As you know there are Winter and summer Olympic Games.
Let’s take the first group of them: SUMMER SPORT
- Football is a popular sport played all over the world. It is the national sport of most European and Latin-American countries and of many other nations.
- Swimming was invented before recorded history. Humans discovered how to swim by accident. A person probably fell into the water and struggled to shore using a dog-paddle stroke.
- The Tennis game is a sport that is played between two players and such tennis games are known as singles. However, there is a combination of a man and man or a man and a woman and such pairs will play against another pair and these games are known as doubles.
The next group is WINTER SPORT:
- The game developed in the frozen expanses of North America, and a hundred years ago became the national winter sport of Canada. It also became very popular in the northern states of the United States
- Skiing is the most popular of all winter sports. It is believed that skiing comes from northern Europe and Siberia, where it was a vital means of transportation during the long, snowbound months of winter. The pre-historic people of these regions used skis to keep hunters on top of the snow.
- Sport in which ice skaters, singly or in pairs, perform freestyle movements of jumps, spins, lifts, and footwork in a graceful manner. Its name derives from the patterns skaters make on the ice, an element that was a major part of the sport until recently.
And both WINTER and SUMMER sport:
- The term gymnastics, derived from a Greek word meaning “to exercise naked,” applied in ancient Greece to all exercises practiced in the gymnasium, the place where male athletes did indeed exercise unclothed. Many of these exercises came to be included in the Olympic Games, until the abandonment of the Games in ad 393.
- Wrestling is one of the oldest forms of combat with references to it as early as the Iliad, in which Homer recounts the Trojan War in the 13th or 12th century BC. The origins of wrestling can be traced back 15,000 years through cave drawings in France. Babylonian and Egyptian relief's show wrestlers using most of the holds known to the present-day sport.
- Boxing is a combat sport in which two people fight each other using their fists. Boxing is supervised by a referee over a series of between one to three minute intervals called rounds. The boxers are generally of similar weight. There are four ways to win
V. Consolidation of the lesson:
Now let’s revise the following aspects of the lesson:
-What kind of Olympic Games do you know?
-What winter sports did we read about?
-What summer sport do you know from the text?
VI. The epilogue of the lesson: If you quit once , it became a habit. Never quit!
VII. Homework. To make up a presentation about your favorite kind of sport.
Lubenka secondary school by A. Tikhonenko.
The theme of the lesson:
Performed by Elesbaeva Sh. S, a teacher
Lubenka - 2014