Бурбель Любовь Николаевна
учитель английского языка
КГУ «Школа-лицей № 14 г. Темиртау» Карагандиниская область
Проверочная работа по теме “The USA” для учащихся 6-8 классов.
The United States of America
a) The United States of America is the fourth largest country after Russia, China and Canada. The USA is situated in the central part of the North American continent. There are fifty states in the country. The USA stretches from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean. The total area is over 9 million square kilometers.
The capital of the USA is Washington D.C.
The official language is English.
b) The USA is washed by the Pacific Ocean in the west, the Atlantic Ocean in the east and the Gulf of Mexico in the south. It also borders on Canada in the north and Mexico in the south-west.
The principal rivers of the USA are the Mississippi, the Colorado and the Columbia. The Mississippi is the longest river in the world. The Americans call it
“ the Father of waters”.
c) The Rocky mountains stretch from Alaska down to the south of the country.Another big mountain chain, the Appalachians, runs down the eastern part of the United States of America. The Grand Canyon is one of America’s tourist attractions. The Colorado river made it millions of years ago. Today, the canyon is one mile deep and 200 miles long.
d) The United states of America is a young country. The people of the USA have different nations. A few hundreds of years ago millions of people from China,Asia, Africa, Australia and South America find their new home in the United States.
These different people brought their traditions, customs and festivals. From Germany they brought Christmas trees. From Scotland they brought Halloween. From Ireland they brought St. Patrick’s day celebration.
The population of the USA is 276 millon.
e) George Washington was a general of the American Army. He asked Betsy Ross to make the flag. She used three colors: red, white, and blue. The red color was for courage, white was for liberty, and blue was for justice.
The national flag of the United States of America consists of 13 red and white stripes and 50 stars. Stars on the flag represent the 50 states of the United States of America and the 13 stripes represent the first thirteen states in the Union. Nicknames for the flag is the "Stars and Stripes”
Courage – храбрость liberty- свобода justice- справедливость
Ex. 1 Match the words with their meaning
5. Washed by
6. Border on
8. Stars and stripes
10. Is situated
d) территория/ площадь
h) звёзды и полосы
Ex. 2 Сomplete the sentences with the words from the ex. 1
1. The USA is … by the Atlantic …
2. Mexico …. the USA in the South
3. The Mississippi is the largest ___
4. Paris is the …. of France
5. The total … of the USA is 9 million km2
6. The nickname of American flag is…
7. The official …. In the USA is English
8. There are 50…. In the USA
9. The …. in the USA is 276 milion people
10. The Rocky Mountains ….. from Alaska down to the south-east of the country
11. The USA is …. In the central part of North America
12. The Appalachians are not hills. They are ….
Ex. 3 Correct mistakes and write the right answer
1. New York is a capital of the USA
2. America is a country of immigrants
3. There are fifty states in the USA
4. The official language of the USA is Spanish
5. There are no mountains in the USA
6. The USA borders on France and England
7. The Mississippi River is the largest river
8. The Rockies and the Appalachians are oceans
9. The American flag is called “Stars and stripes”
10. There are 50 stripes on the American flag
11. The USA is washed by the Indian ocean
EX.4 Write what it is?
1. 50_____ on the American flag
2. Stars and stripes ___
3. 276 million people________
4. Washington D.C.__________
5. The Pacific____________
6. The Colorado___________
9. Los Angeles_____________
Список использованной литературы
1. Афанасьева О.В, Михеева И.В. English VI class, М., Просвещение, 2012