Form: 10 A
Interesting facts about Canada.
By the end of the lesson students can tell interesting facts about Canada
Equipment and visual aids
I. Organization moment
II. Warm up and defining the theme
III. Work with the scheme “Canada”
IV. Making test
VI. Introducing with new information. Reading
VII. Reading and translating
X. Setting the home task and giving marks.
XI. Ending the lesson
- Good morning, boys and girls! How are you?
– I`m fine too, thank you. Take your seats, please. Let`s begin our lesson
- Imagine you have a chance to visit any country you want. Look at the map of the world and choose a country. So, come to the board, tick any country on the map and say why you would like to visit this or that country.
- Thank you, pupils. As for me I would visit Canada because I have a pen-friend in Canada and she invites me to come. Besides Canada has an interesting history. So, what do you think what theme of our lesson is?
- You are right. Today we`ll continue to speak about Canada. And the theme is “Interesting facts about Canada"
- At our last lessons we read much about Canada and your home task was to fill the scheme in and tell about this country.
- Thank you, take your seat. The next task is population.
- What about natural resources?
- Would you like to tell about geographical names?
- And who will speak about political system?
- Now you have to make a test. There are ten questions on two languages.
Mark “2” is for 4 right answers
Mark “3” is for 5-6 right answers
Mark “4” is for 7-8 right answers
Mark “5” is for 9-10 right answers
- Well, let`s check up the test.
- That`s enough. It`s time to relax.
-And now I give you cards with ten interesting facts about Canada. You should read them and mark “YES” if you agree and “NO” if you disagree.
- So, now let’s read the short texts and checkup the sentences.
- I divide you into three groups. You have to work together and draw poster about facts which you liked best of all.
- Well, our lesson is coming to the end. Do you like the lesson? What was interesting for you?
- There are many maple leaves in our classroom. Please, write down your opinion about lesson
- I agree with you. Your home task is to prepare interesting facts about Canada.
- Pupils, I`m pleased with your work today. I give you the following marks:
- Thank you for the lesson. Goodbye
- Good morning! We are fine, thanks. And you?
- P1: I`d like to visit the USA because it`s the home of Hollywood and Disneyland
- P2: As for me I`d like to visit Great Britain because it`s the country of the English language. I like English, I like England with its customs and traditions.
- P3: But I prefer Kazakhstan. It`s my motherland. It`s the most important and beautiful country in the world. (and etc.)
- P1: I think the theme of our lesson is “Canada”
-P1: Canada is huge. It`s the second largest country in the world. It`s very rich in natural resources and people. Canada is full of contrasts with one of the largest territories in the world and very small population, igloos and skyscrapers. Canada is multicultural. Since it welcomes immigration, more and more people come to live here every year.
-P2: The population of Canada is about 29 million people. The aboriginal people or First Nations had lived there for thousands of years before the Europeans came. People of different nationalities live in Canada. There are 2 official languages: English and French.
- Р3: They produce oil, gas. Timber, gold, nickel, aluminum, lead and 15 % of the world`s diamonds.
- Р4: Yes, I`d like to. A lot of the names of the cities and lakes came from the language of the aboriginal people. Eg. Canada comes from the Iroquoian word Kanata which means “villages”. The name of the lake Ontario means “beautiful lake”. Two other great lakes were called Erie and Huron after the tribes used to live in that area. The capital was called Ottawa after the tribe of Odaawaa. In 1787 the British founded the city of Toronto the name of which means “place where trees stand in the water”
- Р5: Can I? As for political system I must say that Canada is both a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy. Formally, the head of the country is the Queen or King of Great Britain
They do test. Then check up the partner’s test and give the mark
They thing a song “Me and my broken heart”
- They read the sentences and mark “YES” or “NO”
- Each pupil gets a card with the text and translates it. Then they read the text and translate it aloud, another pupils mark the right answer
-Pupils draw pictures and present their poster.
- P1: I think the lesson was interesting. We`ve learnt a lot of interesting facts about Canada.
- P2:: Now I can describe Canada.
A map of the world
Cards with test
Music “Me and my broken heart”
Card with sentences
Cards with texts
Poster, colored pencils