“ Our Earth is Our Home”
The environment is all the things we need to be able to live - clean water to drink , air to breathe and healthy food to eat.
We can’t live without
plants and animals.
They help to make the
soil, they clean the
water and air, and they give us all our
The world is our home and we want to see it clean and beautiful.
At the same time we take from nature
as much as we can.
Every day we hear about environmental
- Acid rains
- Climate change
- The destruction of rainforests
and other wild habitats
Chemical waste pollute river water, killing
wildlife .The pollution affects the health
of people and animals.
We make a lot of waste.
Some of which is TOXIC.
We pour toxic waste into
our rivers, lakes, seas and
Acid rain is rain consisting of water droplets that are unusually acidic because of atmospheric pollution .
Acid rain is a serious environmental problem
that affect s large parts of the United States
Forest fires are one of the greatest natural destroyers
of our forests.
Each year fires burn millions of hectares of forest all over the world.
Rainforests are very dense, warm
and wet forests.
Rainforests are found on every
continent across the Earth,
They cover only 6% of the Earth’s
surface but yet they contain more
than a half of the world’s plant and animal species.
The Earth has been getting hotter because we are producing too many greenhouse gases.
Because the Earth is
getting hotter, ice is melting.
Scientists say that in 2050
some parts of Great Britain
will be under the sea.
It is necessary to help wild animals.
Many of them are in danger now.
For example, pandas which live in the jungle and white bears which live in the Arctic.
You are going to read the text about recycling. Your task is to choose the most suitable heading for each part (1-7) of the article. There is one extra heading which you do not need to use.
A. Straw vs. paper
B. Recycled plastic
C. Reusing glass
D. Recycling metal
F. The process of recycling
G. Recycling tin cans
H. The importance of recycling
I. Recycling paper
While reading stage
Match the beginning and the ending
of the sentences.
1. Recycling is a very important subject…
2. More than 20 million tons of paper were recycled…
3. Plastic is the hardest material to recycle…
4. So many of the things we use are made of metal…
5. Steel is 100 per cent recyclable...
6. Glass can also be melted down ...
a) and can all be reused after they stop working.
b) because there are so many different kinds, all of which need to be treated differently.
c) and can be recycled hundreds of times.
d) and used to make new bottles.
e) and one that is becoming more so all the time.
f) and turned into birthday cards, cereal boxes, and hundreds of other things.
Post-reading Stage Answer the following questions using the text.
- What is the problem described here?
- What is recycling?
- Why do American farmers prefer using paper to straw?
- What things can be made through the process of recycling?
- Why is recycling so important nowadays?
- We can recycle newspapers,
bottles and metal cans.
- We mustn’t cut down trees.
- Feed birds in winter.
- Protect wildlife, plants and trees.
- Keep all water clean.
- Don’t use aerosol sprays.
- Don’t use chemicals in the garden.
- Turn off the light when you leave the room.
- Don’t cut wild flowers.
- Try to avoid buying plastic. It’s hard to recycle.