- T gives Ss the handouts Appendix 2 (there are two types Appendix 2 B is for less able students)
- T asks Ss to have a look at the Task 1 and asks one of them (less active student/ less able student) to read the task for aloud.
- As the task is read, T ask another St (less concentrated on the activity/ less active during the class) to paraphrase the task with his/her own words.
- T asks Ss to perform this task individually. (IW)This task is better to do individually, as it is quite easy, so it will improve the students’ confidence and lead to their active engagement into the further learning process. Then, as Ss have accomplished the task, there is a whole class (WC) checking in a form of discussion.
Answers: Nuclear power –5; Wave power – 3; Wind power – 4; Solar power – 1; Hydroelectric power – 2.
- T asks Ss to move to the task 2. Then T asks one of the Ss to read the task aloud, so the learner reads it. Then T asks the whole class if the task is clear for everyone. If Ss say “YES”, there is no need to explain it one more time; if for some learners the task is still being confused, T may ask the more able St to explain the task for his/her peer. Only in the case all Ss understand what they should do, the class starts to perform the task (IW). Meanwhile learners do the task 2, T walks around the class and observes the Ss’ performance.
- Peer checking. T asks Ss to switch their handouts with their partners sitting next to them for peer checking. Answer keys are reflected on the smart board, so Ss can see the correct answers. As soon as they complete peer checking, they are to give the handouts back to their peers.
Answers: Nuclear plant, nuclear waste, nuclear power station; Wave plant, wave turbine, wave power station, wave farm; Wind turbine, wind farm; Solar plant, solar panel, solar farm; Hydroelectric dam.
- T asks a St to read the task 3 aloud. This task is focused on the defining the speakers’ viewpoints. Ss should listen to a conversation between two students and define which type of power speakers think are a good idea? T asks Ss about what steps will they undertake in order to define the correct answers (WC discussion).
(IW) Then Ss listen to the recording twice and answer for the task simultaneously. While Ss are fulfilling the task, T observes Ss’ work and makes notes on what strategies do Ss use for accomplishing the task, who has difficulties in identifying the speakers’ viewpoints and who has no difficulties while completing the task.
(WC) Checking in a way of discussion. T may ask what two types of power speakers consider to be good.
Answer: Solar power and Wave power
- Task 4. T explains it to Ss herself/himself. In this task Ss will listen to the same recording one again (once only), and they should note the phrases in task 1 and task 2 that they hear. As Ss have finished the listening for the second time, they are to compare their answers in pairs (PW) for a minute. WC checking in a form of discussion.
Answer: Solar farm/s, Hydroelectric dams, Wind farms, Wind turbines, Solar power, Nuclear (power) plant.