Тест True/False/Not stated к тексту учебника Youth Movements "Английский язык 9 класс для школ с углубленным изучением англ.яз/О.В.Афанасьева, И.В. Михеева на с.136 Прочитайте текст с.136 Youth Movements и определите какие высказывания верные, какие неверные, а о каких не сказано в тексте
Просмотр содержимого документа
«Тест “Youth Movements” 9 класс. Unit 3.»
Тест “Youth Movements” 9 класс . Unit 3.
УМК Афанасьева О.В.Учебник для школ с углубл.изучением англ.языка
Young people are active participants in their own history. Past generations of radical students have played a part in protests and revolutions against the existing order of society. A youth movements this sense has an ideological or political character. At the same time ordinary young people usually belong to a youth movement through membership of an adult-led, voluntary youth organization, such as the Scouts or Guides. There are also fashion-led "youth cultures", identified by types of dress, music and language. The term "youth movement" is so wide that it can refer to Punk Rockers as well as the Young Conservatives.
2. The world's first voluntary youth organization was the Church-based Boys' Brigade, founded in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1883 by William Alexander Smith (1854-1914) and dedicated to religious education and developing the habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-Respect, and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness.
In the 1900s, in Germany appeared a movement of middle-class students who took up open-air tramping. Richard Schirmann, a German schoolteacher, opened the first youth hostel in 1909. Youth hostels providing cheap accommodation for young people are now found in most areas of the world.
In England, Major-General Robert Baden-Powell (1857-1941) founded a uniformed woodcraft movement — the Boy Scouts — in 1908. Like the Boys' Brigade, the Scout movement has spread around the world. A sister organization to the Scouts, the Girl Guide Association, founded in 1910, also has a large membership worldwide. These organizations train boys and girls in various useful skills, such as lighting a fire, cooking, fishing, and for developing their character. Scouts traditionally carry a penknife and their motto is "Be prepared".
3. Young people have contributed to mass political movements of both left and right. In the 1930s there functioned youth Fascist organizations in Mussolini's Italy and Hitler's Germany. After 1933 membership of the Nazi Hitler Youth became compulsory. In Britain some young people joined the Blackshirts. The Austrian Red Falcons were an active 1930s socialist movement.
Soviet Russia had Young Communist groups: Octobrist, Pioneer and Komsomol whose aim was political education of young people.
4. Since World War II the media have spoken a lot about the activities of various notorious youth cults, thus spreading information about them. The Teddy Boys of the 1950s, with their long jackets, velvet collars, drainpipe trousers and crepe-soled shoes were the first of the rebellious working-class youth cults. In the early 1960s came new groups such as the Mods, dressed in Italian-style clothes, and their leather-clad rivals, the Rockers, associated with motorcycles and rock-and-roll music.
The Hippies of the late 1960s were more middle-class. They experimented with drugs, lived in communities, grew their hair long, and were attracted to radical politics.
Skinheads combining elements of both Mods and Rockers and associated with the racism of the far right, arrived on the scene in the late 1960s. Punk Rockers achieved notoriety through the attention of the media in the late 1970s, with their unique “Mohican” hairstyles, vivid make-up, cas-off clothes and aggressive music. Several of these youth cultures wew recycled in the 1980s.
Which of the following statements are true and which are false and which is not stated?
1.Many years ago young people used to join movements of protest against existing order of society.
2. There are no youth movements in which young people are identified by types of dress, music and language.
3.Young Conservatives or Punk Rockers are not considered as youth movements.
4. W.Smith was a founder of the first voluntary youth organization.
5.In youth hostels young people didn’t pay for their accommodation.
6. First Boy Scouts appeared in England.
7. Blackshirts in Britain was a political movement.
8. The Hippies were not good people.
9. Teddy Boys was the first organization, dealing with youth cults.