Контрольная работа по английскому языку (11 класс)
1) Read the story. Then read the statements below the story. Write “T” after each true statement and “F” after each false statement.
Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)
Nobody has ever paint cornfields or sunflowers like Van Gogh. His paintings are full of colour and sunlight. Today his painting are worth millions of pounds but in his lifetime he only sold one.
Van Gogh was born in Holland in 1853. He did not start painting until he was twenty-seven, ten years before he died. Before becoming a painter, he was a teacher, an art dealer and a church preacher.
In 1886 he left Holland and joined his younger brother, Theo, who was working in Paris at the time. After living there for two years, he moved to the warmer climate of Arles in the south of France. Here he painted some of his most famous pictures.
However, Van Gogh was mentally ill. During one of his fits of madness he attacked his friend, the artist Paul Gaugyin. In another fit of madness, Van Gogh cut off part of his own ear. Eventually he went into a mental hospital but he did not get any better.
Finally, on Sunday 27th July 1890, in the small village of Auvers, north of Paris, Vincent Van Gogh took a gun, went into a cornfield and shoot himself. When his brother Theo arrived, he said: “I hope I did it property.” Thirty-six hours later Van Gogh died in his brother’s arms. His last words were ‘La tristesse durera’. (The sadness will continue.)
1. Van Gogh was born in Holland in 1853.
2. He was eighteen when he started painting.
3. He was a doctor before becoming a painter.
4. He painted his most famous pictures in the south of France.
5. Nobody has ever paint cornfields or sunflowers like Van Gogh.
6. Van Gogh was mentally ill.
7. He get rather better after the hospital
8. He died in 1890.
2) Read the sentences and fill in the blanks. Find the correct answer among the four answers given below.
1. Yesterday was ______ day this year.
a) the most hot b) hottest c) hotter d) the hottest
2. The Moskva river is not so long ______ the Volga.
a) than b) as c) so d) that
3. Ted is _____ than Steve.
a) tallest b) taller c) the tallest d) tall
4. This is ____story I ever heard.
a) funny b) the funniest c) funnier d) more funny
5. Pavel knows Literature _______ than Biology.
a) good b) the best c) better d) best
6. This lecture is _______ than the previous one.
a) the most boring b) boring c) most boring d) more boring
7. Room 23 is _______.
a) smaller b) the smallest c)smallest d) more small
3) Choose the right answer.
1. The room was full _____ smoke.
a) with b) of c) off d) for
2. I can never see the blackboard because the tall boy always sits______ me.
a) behind b) in front of c) near d) next to
3. I’m interested _____ studying economics.
a) of b) at c) in d)for
4. They tried to make ______ agreeable.
a) itself b) oneself c) ourselves d) themselves
5. The reporter ______ for along time but he didn’t say anything.
a) speak b) told c) spoke d) said
6. She failed the exam. What a _____.
a) shame b) joy c) pleasure d) happiness
7. The boy works the computer so ______.
a) good b) bad c) better d) well
8. What’s that music you are ______.
a) hearing b) listening c) listening to d) listen
9. John missed his class as he didn’t want to ______ the test.
a) take b) pass c) examine d) check
10. I can give you this book. You ___ go to the library.
a) wouldn’t b) needn’t c) may not d) can’t
4) Complete the sentences by supplying the correct forms of the verbs.
1. Yesterday I (go) shopping.
2. In England they (play) cricket in the summer.
3. Sh! I (listen) to the radio.
4. When I (enter) the hall, everybody (dance).
5. Lucy (finish) her report by now.
6. After we (finish) our dinner my sister washed the dishes.
7. We (move) to the new flat tomorrow.
8. My grandmother (watch) the same TV programmes for over five years.
9. While mother was cooking I (clean) the room.
10. She (play) tennis at the moment.
5) Identify the underlined tense forms.
1. Janet has just won(1) a great deal of money on the National Lottery. She is (2) a sort of person who was always joking (3): “I shall indeed win (4) it one day.’’ Now she is wondering (5) :’’What am I doing (6)with it?’’
2. An explosion has damaged (7) the tomb of a former military leader. The terrorist organization suspected carried out(8) many attacks in the 1970’s and was blamed (9) for killing dozens of people, but according to the press, it has been (10) largely inactive recently.