Викторина по страноведению в рамках проведения недели английского языка. Рекомендована для учащихся 9 класса. Прилагается презентационный материал и приложение. Викторина охватывает вопросы истории и культуры Америки.
- What was the first holiday, celebrated by American colonists?
a) Thanksgiving b) The New Year c) Easter d) Christmas
2. What tea party is a historical event?
a) Franklin and Washington tea party b) Roosevelt and Churchill tea party
c) Boston tea party d) Atlanta tea party
- When was the Declaration of Independence issued?
a) on July 4th, 1776 b) on July 14th, 1776 c) on July 4th, 1778 d) on July 4th, 1779
4. Where was the Constitution of the USA worked out?
a) in Atlanta b) in New York c) in Washington d) in Philadelphia
5. Who wrote the story “The old man and the sea”?
a) Mark Twain b) Edgar Poe c) Ernest Hemingway d)Walt Whitman
6. Who wrote “An American tragedy”?
a) Walt Whitman b) Ernest Hemingway c) Mark Twain d) Theodore Dreiser
7. What are the two major parties in the US ?
a) the Republicans and the Democrats b) the Republicans and the Socialists
c) the Democrats and the Socialists d) the Conservationists and the Democrats
8. Who was the first person to walk on the moon?
a) Neil Armstrong b) Jim Lowell c) John Glenn d) Yuri Gagarin
9. Which president freed the slaves?
a) Thomas Jefferson b) George Washington c) Abraham Lincoln d) Henry Ford
10. Who was the Civil Rights leader who fought through nonviolent action?
a) Thomas Pain b) Thomas Jefferson c) Martin Luther King, Jr. d) John Kennedy
11. What is the national anthem of the USA ?
a) America, the beautiful b) Silent night c) The star-spangled banner d) Yesterday
12. Why did the pilgrims come to America?
a) for great money b) for religious freedom c) for a new land d) for great love
13. What type of meat was probably NOT on the Pilgrims’ Thanksgiving menu?
a) beef b) fish c) lobster d) venison
14. Which vegetable or fruit was NOT on the menu at the first thanksgiving feast in 1621?
a) apples b) berries c) corn d) potatoes
15. In 1676, a day of thanksgiving was proclaimed to take place during what month ?
a) May b) June c) October d) November
16. What president didn’t like the idea of having a national Thanksgiving Day?
a) Lincoln b) Jefferson c) Roosevelt d) Kennedy