Материал может быть использован на уроках страноведения, при проведении конкурсов и викторин на английском языке.
“Traditions and customs around the world”
by Grishakova N.I.
Teacher of English
School № 887
1.In some hot Spanish-speaking countries and in Italy people enjoy having a long midday rest after dinner. What is it called?
2. In which country having a constant quiet smile on the face is considered to be a distinctive and characteristic feature of the etiquette?
3. Why do Christian brides traditionally wear the wedding ring on the fourth finger?
It was believed that the fourth finger has a vein that is linked directly to the heart.
4. In this ancient state it was customary to carry a newborn baby to the appointed place, the seat of the elders. If they found the child healthy and strong, they allowed a father to raise the child and gave the newborn a piece of land. If a child was weak and sick, the elders ordered to throw him into the abyss.
Which was the state?
Ancient Greece: Sparta
5. What colour robe do monks traditionally wear in Thailand?
6. Which Hindu festival is popularly known as the Festival of lights?
7. Every year in early October Munich attracts several million tourists for the famous beer festival. During the 16 days tourists enjoy the taste of German beer, meat sausages, fried chicken.
How is this festival called?
8. Match these toasts with their lands:
- Na zdravie!
- Skal! - Scandinavia
- Viva! - Brazil
Prosit! - Germany
Cheers! - England
- Salud! - Spain
Na zdravie! -Slovakia
9. Which people traditionally smoke a pipe of peace?
The Red Indians
10. In India, China and Japan this colour is the colour of mouring. Which one?
11. Which country has a mandatory day of rest - Saturday, when it is prohibited to do any work?
12. In China you shouldn’t give as a gift…
a) A watch
b) A vase
Never give a Chinese a watch because the clocks in China are associated with death and funerals.
13. What is called “The Japanese custom of committing suicide to save face” (a traditional method of killing yourself by cutting your stomach open with a knife or a sword)?
14. Which people
Eskimoes, Hindus, French, English
use the following modes of greeting?
(a) rubbing noses
(b) folding hands together
(c) kissing on both cheeks
(d) shaking one’s own hand
15. Name the Polynesian people of New Zealand who are fond of tattooing themselves.